Like Americans, Indians love to snack. Chaat is a top favorite for its varied textures, flavors, and ingredients. The city of Mumbai is especially well known for its street snacks. Your chaat recipe can include almost anything: roasted vegetables, puffed rice, chickpeas, leftover samosas broken into pieces, leftover idlis, fried potato cubes, pakoras, and in this case, even .
Goldfish Chaat Recipe
The inspiration for this recipe was from Priya Lakshminarayan’s blog Cookilicious. Priya grew up in Mumbai and now lives in the United States, so she is master of straddling these two cultures in a healthy way.
All at once, soft and crunchy, sweet and spicy, savory, and tart, this Goldfish chaat will hit all your munchy high notes. Feel free to substitute your own favorite ingredients. You can certainly make your own chutneys, but using store-bought chutneys works too. I rarely have more than one homemade chutney on hand at a time.
See the Notes below before you cook.
Chaat Recipe with Goldfish
- 1/2 cup red onion ~ Chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup tomato ~ Deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup green mango ~ Chopped, or a tart green apple, e.g. granny smith
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves ~ Chopped
- 1 small green chili ~ Finely minced, more or less to your taste
- 1 teaspoon black salt ~ Or 1/2 teaspoon coarse, sea or table salt
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala ~ Or 1 to 2 more tsp of lemon or lime juice; buy or make
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons roasted or plain corn
- 2 cups cheese crackers ~ See first Notes below with other ideas
- 2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice ~ More if not using chaat masala
- 1/2 cup sev ~ Dried chickpea flour noodles; substitute finely chopped cucumber
- green chutney mixed 50/50 with yogurt ~ Drizzle, make chutney or buy
- tamarind & date chutney ~ Drizzle
- Instead of goldfish crackers, you can substitute puffed rice, cheesy popcorn, bhel mix, or even your favorite cheese crackers. Priya calls for Parle cheeselings, so certainly use them if you can find them.
- If using a granny smith apple instead of the green mango, rub the juice of half the lemon over the apple pieces to prevent browning.
- If you are not a big fan of raw onions, place the chopped onions in a small bowl and cover with cider vinegar and marinate for at least 15 minutes or more. Alternatively, you could use scallions instead.
- This is not a dish that you can make and leave out for hours. The crackers and sev will go soggy if not eaten pretty quickly.
- Chaat recipe with goldfish is one of the Top 20 Dishes in India, enjoy!